Recent blackouts in Phnom Penh have disrupted mobile services at Cambodia’s second-largest mobile operator, Cellcard, the company said. The power outages, which began rolling through the city in early February, have shut down some Cellcard service antennas, or base stations, leading to temporary service failure in some parts of the city, Cellcard chief operations officer Kay Lot said on Friday.

“When Electrocite du Cambodge power goes out, we have battery back-up to keep the station going for an average of four hours. Beyond that, the station will shut down,” Kay Lot said.The stations have shut down daily in different areas of Phnom Penh and customers have lodged complaints with the company, he said.According to data obtained by the Post in January, Cellcard was the Kingdom’s second-largest mobile operator by subscriber numbers as of November, with 2.9 million users.

 

Read the original:
Kingdom’s telecoms deal with blackouts

About the author

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Get notified of our weekly selection of news

You May Also Like

Cambodia’s Border Reopening: Opportunities for Tourism Sector

Cambodia is now fully open to foreign travelers although there are still quarantine requirements for travelers who are not fully vaccinated.

Vietnam, China and Thailand are Cambodia’s top three export destinations

Cambodia’s total export to the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) member countries amounted to $1.95 billion in the first quarter of 2022, up 11 percent from $1.75 billion  over the same period last year, a Ministry of Commerce’s data showed on Thursday.