The Federation of Thai Industries FTI expects Thailand’s exports of natural rubber and its products to double in the next five years.Speaking at a seminar on “Upgrading Natural Rubber Cluster Competitiveness,” FTI vice president Payungsak Chartsuthipol said Thailand is the world’s largest exporter of natural rubber with an annual value of around Bt500 billion.
It is expected that rubber exports will rise by 10 per cent with a value of over Bt500 billion this year.He said FTI has targeted developing the natural rubber industry in a cluster form so it could compete with Malaysia, Indonesia, and Vietnam.
It hoped to see the value of rubber exports to increase to Bt800-900 billion in the next five years.At present, Thailand exports 88 per cent of the natural rubber in raw form with the remaining 12 per cent being processed products valued at Bt150 billion.Prayong Hirunyavanich, chairman of the Rubber and Rubber Wood Cluster Committee, said FTI wanted to double the export of processed rubber products to 24 per cent from 12 per cent of total production.
He said the most effective way to boost processed rubber exports is to encourage foreign rubber producers with high technology to invest in the processed rubber industry.It is also necessary for the government to adopt a policy to promote investment in the production of processed rubber, eliminate obstacles to the development of the industry, and to improve tax laws to ensure clear collection.Other approaches include allowing prices of processed rubber products to move by market mechanisms and to boost small- and medium-size enterprises SME’s competence to process natural rubber into various kinds of products.
Malaysia, Thailand banks to join the ASEAN Banking Integration Framework
Banking institutions from Thailand and Malaysia are invited to join the ASEAN Banking Integration Framework and indicate their interest to become a Qualified ASEAN Bank (QAB) in Malaysia and Thailand.
Pursuant to the bilateral arrangement under the ASEAN Banking Integration Framework (ABIF) between Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) and the Bank of Thailand (BOT) which was concluded in April 2019, banking institutions from Thailand and Malaysia are invited to indicate their interest to be a Qualified ASEAN Bank (QAB) in Malaysia and Thailand.(more…)
Department of Foreign Trade (DFT) to organize Southern Trade Fair
The event will provide a platform for business negotiations and stimulate the economy, trade and investment in the three southern border provinces.
BANGKOK, 18 April 2019 (NNT) – The Department of Foreign Trade (DFT) will organize a Southern Border Trade Fair to provide knowledge to entrepreneurs in preparation for accessing the Malaysian market.(more…)
Can border reopening revive tourism in South-East Asia?
In Thailand, where pre-pandemic tourism accounted for 11-12% of GDP, the country lost an estimated $50bn last year as Covid-19...
Thailand dropped from UK’s tough covid-19 travel ‘red list’
Earlier, Thailand was listed among countries with high infection levels that were put on a ‘red list’, requiring arrivals to...
The ASEAN-Russia Trade and Investment Cooperation Work Program
ASEAN and Russia recently agreed to enhance and widen economic cooperation at the 10th ASEAN Economic Ministers (AEM)-Russia Consultations held...
Flexible Workspace Startup Worklounge Debuts with 20+ Luxury Member Lounges in Thailand
Worklounge launches a premium membership granting remote professionals and executives access to exclusive hotel lounges across Thailand. Their platform is...
5 insights to guide ASEAN’s digital generation in a post-pandemic world
We surveyed 86,000 people from six ASEAN countries about their views for a post-pandemic world. The ASEAN Digital Generation Report...