Bangkok is poised to become the world’s most popular city this year for international travellers for the second year in a row, according to the report of financial services corporation Mastercard.
In its Mastercard’s 2017 Global Destination Cities Index released this week, it said Bangkok is set to welcome nearly 20.2 million International overnight visitors this year, or 4% increase from last year.
London retained its No. 2 title for the second year running, with projected arrivals topping 20 million in 2017.
Paris is in third place with 16.1 million visitors forecast.
Dubai, coming in at No. 4, expects to see just over 16 million international visitors in 2017.
Singapore rounds out the Top 5 for arrivals, with nearly 13.5 million international visitors expected in 2017.
The Mastercard Index of Global Destination Cities ranks cities in terms of the number of their total international overnight visitor arrivals and the cross-border spending by these same visitors in the destination cities in 2016, and gives visitor and passenger growth forecasts for 2017.
This Index and the accompanying reports are not based on Mastercard volumes or transactional data
Top 10 destination cities are:
1. Bangkok, Thailand — 19.41 million visitors in 2016 (20.19 million forecast for 2017)
2. London, England — 19.06 million visitors in 2016 (20.01 million forecast for 2017)
3. Paris, France — 15.45 million visitors in 2016 (16.13 million forecast for 2017)
4. Dubai, UAE — 14.87 million visitors in 2016 (16.01 million forecast for 2017)
5. Singapore — 13.11 million visitors in 2016 (13.45 million forecast for 2017)
6. New York, USA — 12.70 million visitors in 2016 (12.36 million forecast for 2017)
7. Seoul, South Korea — 12.39 million visitors in 2016 (12.44 million forecast for 2017)
8. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia — 11.28 million visitors in 2016 (12.08 million forecast for 2017)
9. Tokyo, Japan — 11.15 million visitors in 2016 (12.51 million forecast for 2017)
10. Istanbul, Turkey — 9.16 million visitors in 2016 (9.24 million forecast for 2017)
The post Bangkok comes on top of 10 most popular cities for international travelers in 2017 appeared first on Thai PBS English News.
Thailand’s FDI applications up 69% in the first nine months of 2019
The total value of FDI applications received by the BOI in the nine months to September increased 69% from the year earlier period, to a total value of 203.37 billion baht, according to the latest data from the BOI
Thailand continued to attract rising foreign direct investment (FDI) in the first nine months of 2019, with increased number of investment project applications according to public agency Thailand Board of Investment (BOI).(more…)
Thai Labour minister calls meeting after U.S. GSP cut
The Minister of Labour has called an urgent meeting to address the labour concerns cited by the U.S. as a factor in the decision to revoke trade preferences.
BANGKOK (NNT) – The decision by the U.S. to suspend Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) treatment to Thailand, requiring all Thai exports to the U.S. to be subject to duties, has raised confusion among many sectors in Thailand.(more…)
Thailand edges up 6 spots in World Bank’s Ease of Doing Business 2020
While many economies in the East Asia and the Pacific region make doing business relatively easy, the pace of reforms has slowed from previous years.
Thailand among top five countries for salary hikes
Thailand is among the top five economies in the world to see real salary increases and is likely to see...
Thailand Ecommerce Market: Shooting For Success
At present, the Thai ecommerce market is valued at USD 3.5 billion. According to a Google Temasek study, Thailand’s e-commerce...
Aspire Set to Become First SME Neobank in Southeast Asia with US$32.5 Million Raise
The recent financing has been led by Mass-Mutual Ventures Southeast Asia with participation from Silicon Valley’s Arc Labs and existing...