Thailand’s construction material conglomerate Siam Cement Group (SCG) has set up a joint venture with Vietnam Oil and Gas Group (PetroVietnam) to build Vietnam’s first petrochemical complex with a total investment of 188 billion baht ($5.6 billion).
The Thai company owns 71 per cent through its wholly-owned subsidiaries Vina SCG Chemicals Co Ltd and Thai Plastic and Chemicals Pcl in the JV, while PetroVietnam holds the remaining 29 per cent.
Roongrote Rangsiyopash, president and CEO of SCG, told local media that it has already made the initial investment of 30 billion baht for purchasing the land. Construction is set to start next year and commence operation in the first half of 2022.
Located 100 kilometres from Ho Chi Minh City, the Long Son Petrochemicals project will develop a one-million-tonne ethylene cracker that can produce up to 1.6 million tonnes of olefins per annum.
The supply will help serve rising domestic demand and reduce Vietnam’s import of petrochemical products, Rangsiyopash said.
Since this project has been postponed for years, the cost has shot up by 20 per cent from its previous estimation of $4.5 billion. About 30 per cent of total investment will be used for the development of a deep sea port and other facilities to support the petrochemical plant.
The company’s filing cited that financing will be through a combination of foreign denominated debt and equity at 60:40.
Rangsiyopash added the project’s internal rate of return is expected to be at 13-14 per cent.
The post Siam Cement, PetroVietnam to invest $5.6b in Vietnam’s first petrochemical complex appeared first on DealStreetAsia.
DEALSTREETASIA Pte. Ltd. is a news and intelligence platform providing reports on investments, mergers, acquisitions, private equity, venture capital, investment banking and the business of startups across the Asian region.
Thai Mango growers complain of low prices and fewer exports
Because of the global COVID-19 pandemic, their mangoes are not being exported, due to fewer buyers, and their prices have plunged to between 10 and 20 baht per kilogram, depending on size.
Mango orchard owners in Thailand’s northern province of Phitsanuloke are seeking help from the provincial administration to promote the sale of their sweet fruit, particularly Barracuda Mango variety.
Covid-19 and food security: can emerging economies mitigate rising prices?
The Food Price Index, established by the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) to track monthly changes in international food prices, rose for the eighth consecutive month in January, primarily as a result of Covid-19.
An increase in food prices following the coronavirus pandemic has intensified concerns related to global food security. For emerging markets, this has further underlined the importance of regional cooperation and innovative solutions to help overcome the challenges.
Gold rush hits Thailand as prices surge
The value of gold has rocketed by Bt7,000 per baht weight since the beginning of this year, generating returns of over 20 per cent.
Subscribe via Email
Thai fruit exports to FTA markets up 107 percent
China, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, the Philippines, Hong Kong, Australia and Chile are top importers of Thai fruits, especially fresh durian,...
Digital Revolution and Repression in Myanmar and Thailand
Activists have also proactively published social media content in multiple languages using the hashtags #WhatsHappeningInMyanmar and #WhatsHappeningInThailand to boost coverage...
3 Reasons to Be Optimistic About the Baht Right Now
Probably one of the most important factors for the rise of the Baht is the continued weakness of the US...
Will Thailand’s plan for quarantine-free tourism set a global trend?
According to the Tourism Authority of Thailand, the quarantine-exemption measures implemented in Phuket will be extended to five other key...
Thailand Approves Latest Economic Relief Package for Businesses
Some 250 billion baht (US$8 billion) was allocated for soft loans while the remaining 100 billion baht (US$3.2 billion) will...
Southeast Asia remains a hot spot for plastic pollution
The use of plastics is deeply embedded in our daily lives, in everything from grocery bags and cutlery to water...