This International Youth Day (12/08/2012) approaches as unemployment surfaces as one of the top challenges young people are facing around the globe. ”Over 75 million young people still have no formal job. Young people are three times more likely than adults to be unemployed”, Lars Thunell, CEO of the International Finance Corporation (IFC).
A snapshot of youth unemployment:
- Today, 50% of the world’s population is under 27 years old. According to the International Labour Organization, youth comprise 40% of the 200 million people who are unemployed worldwide
- In Africa there are almost 200 million people aged between 15 and 24, a number that is set to double by 2045, Currently, this age group comprises 60% of Africa’s unemployed. See a country by country overview of the continent.
- Youth living in an OECD country are two or three times more likely to be unemployed than their elders.
- Overall, more than 1 in 5 young people in the labour market in France, the UK , Sweden, Poland, Ireland and Italy are unemployed.
- Youth unemployment in Spain went from 17.4% in March 2007, to 51.1% in March 2012.
ASEAN and EU conclude the world’s first bloc-to-bloc Air Transport Agreement
The AE CATA is the world’s first bloc-to-bloc air transport agreement and will bolster connectivity and economic development among the 37 member states of ASEAN and the EU.
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and the European Union (EU) and its Member States have concluded the negotiations on the ASEAN-EU Comprehensive Air Transport Agreement (AE CATA) at the Extraordinary ASEAN-EU Senior Transport Officials Meeting held virtually on June 2.(more…)
ASEAN Overtakes EU to Become China’s Top Trading Partner in Q1 2020
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) became China’s largest trading partner in the first three months of 2020, surpassing both the EU and the United States.
Subscribe via Email
Thai baht becoming the region’s worst-hit currency in COVID pandemic
According to data from its tourism ministry as well as the World Bank, Thailand had only a little over 34,000...
Asia’s slow rate of vaccination is a thorn in the region’s economic recovery
Southeast Asia has been hit badly. Daily infections for Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam are at their worst, on a seven-day moving...
TAT expects 850 billion baht ($25.7 bln) in tourism revenue after successful reopening
The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has set this year’s revenue target at 850 billion baht, 300 billion of which...
Download 1xBet mobile and play all over the world
Placing profitable bets or playing in a casino is now possible comfortably even without being tied to a computer. It...
3 ways Asia can recover from the COVID-19 pandemic faster
Countries in the East Asia and Pacific region will benefit from cooperation in three major areas: vaccine deployment, reviving sectors...