This International Youth Day (12/08/2012) approaches as unemployment surfaces as one of the top challenges young people are facing around the globe. ”Over 75 million young people still have no formal job. Young people are three times more likely than adults to be unemployed”, Lars Thunell, CEO of the International Finance Corporation (IFC).
A snapshot of youth unemployment:
- Today, 50% of the world’s population is under 27 years old. According to the International Labour Organization, youth comprise 40% of the 200 million people who are unemployed worldwide
- In Africa there are almost 200 million people aged between 15 and 24, a number that is set to double by 2045, Currently, this age group comprises 60% of Africa’s unemployed. See a country by country overview of the continent.
- Youth living in an OECD country are two or three times more likely to be unemployed than their elders.
- Overall, more than 1 in 5 young people in the labour market in France, the UK , Sweden, Poland, Ireland and Italy are unemployed.
- Youth unemployment in Spain went from 17.4% in March 2007, to 51.1% in March 2012.
ASEAN Overtakes EU to Become China’s Top Trading Partner in Q1 2020
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) became China’s largest trading partner in the first three months of 2020, surpassing both the EU and the United States.
EU donates €350 million to fight Covid-19 in ASEAN countries
EU mobilises €350 million to assist the ASEAN region in fight against the coronavirus
As part of its plan to support partner countries around the globe, the European Union (EU) is mobilising €350 million to fight against the spread of the coronavirus and mitigate the impact of the pandemic on the ASEAN region.
EU to revive free trade talks with Thailand
Free trade talks between Thailand and the EU started in 2013 but were put on hold after the 2014 military coup that ousted the elected government of Yingluck Shinawatra.
Subscribe via Email
Developing Asia growth set to rebound to 7.3% in 2021 (ADB)
Thailand slow vaccination progress coupled with a surge of infections has prompted Kasikorn Research Centre to lower its growth projection...
Thailand extends the 7,000 baht “Rao Chana” scheme to 33.5 million Thais
The Ministry of Finance said that the new proposal will increase the number of people eligible for the “Rao Chana”...
Bangkok falls 19 places to 49th most expensive location worldwide
Locations reliant on international tourism have seen their rental markets hit especially hard during the pandemic, resulting in some major...
Thai fruit exports to FTA markets up 107 percent
China, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, the Philippines, Hong Kong, Australia and Chile are top importers of Thai fruits, especially fresh durian,...
Digital Revolution and Repression in Myanmar and Thailand
Activists have also proactively published social media content in multiple languages using the hashtags #WhatsHappeningInMyanmar and #WhatsHappeningInThailand to boost coverage...
3 Reasons to Be Optimistic About the Baht Right Now
Probably one of the most important factors for the rise of the Baht is the continued weakness of the US...