This International Youth Day (12/08/2012) approaches as unemployment surfaces as one of the top challenges young people are facing around the globe. ”Over 75 million young people still have no formal job. Young people are three times more likely than adults to be unemployed”, Lars Thunell, CEO of the International Finance Corporation (IFC).
A snapshot of youth unemployment:
- Today, 50% of the world’s population is under 27 years old. According to the International Labour Organization, youth comprise 40% of the 200 million people who are unemployed worldwide
- In Africa there are almost 200 million people aged between 15 and 24, a number that is set to double by 2045, Currently, this age group comprises 60% of Africa’s unemployed. See a country by country overview of the continent.
- Youth living in an OECD country are two or three times more likely to be unemployed than their elders.
- Overall, more than 1 in 5 young people in the labour market in France, the UK , Sweden, Poland, Ireland and Italy are unemployed.
- Youth unemployment in Spain went from 17.4% in March 2007, to 51.1% in March 2012.
ASEAN and EU conclude the world’s first bloc-to-bloc Air Transport Agreement
The AE CATA is the world’s first bloc-to-bloc air transport agreement and will bolster connectivity and economic development among the 37 member states of ASEAN and the EU.
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and the European Union (EU) and its Member States have concluded the negotiations on the ASEAN-EU Comprehensive Air Transport Agreement (AE CATA) at the Extraordinary ASEAN-EU Senior Transport Officials Meeting held virtually on June 2.(more…)
ASEAN Overtakes EU to Become China’s Top Trading Partner in Q1 2020
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) became China’s largest trading partner in the first three months of 2020, surpassing both the EU and the United States.
Can border reopening revive tourism in South-East Asia?
In Thailand, where pre-pandemic tourism accounted for 11-12% of GDP, the country lost an estimated $50bn last year as Covid-19...
Thailand dropped from UK’s tough covid-19 travel ‘red list’
Earlier, Thailand was listed among countries with high infection levels that were put on a ‘red list’, requiring arrivals to...
The ASEAN-Russia Trade and Investment Cooperation Work Program
ASEAN and Russia recently agreed to enhance and widen economic cooperation at the 10th ASEAN Economic Ministers (AEM)-Russia Consultations held...
Flexible Workspace Startup Worklounge Debuts with 20+ Luxury Member Lounges in Thailand
Worklounge launches a premium membership granting remote professionals and executives access to exclusive hotel lounges across Thailand. Their platform is...
5 insights to guide ASEAN’s digital generation in a post-pandemic world
We surveyed 86,000 people from six ASEAN countries about their views for a post-pandemic world. The ASEAN Digital Generation Report...