The Housing Business Association has predicted that residential and condominium prices will continue to grow this year despite the lowering oil prices and adverse political conditions.
Residential prices should grow by 3-5 percent while condominium prices should rise by 8-10 percent this year, according to the association.
The association said although the lowering oil prices should reduce costs of transportation of building materials, land prices and labour costs will still increase, prompting the residential and condominium prices to climb up further this year.
Land prices near BTS skytrain routes in particular should increase by 10-20 percent this year, it said.
Despite the political instability in the first half of this year, prices of the best downtown condominiums in Bangkok continue to rise. This year, five projects have achieved record prices of above 300,000 baht per square metre, triple the highest prices achieved more than 20 years ago in the 1990s, according to CBRE’s transaction records.
BOT’s preventive measures
The BOT has released new rules in response to public anxiety that Thailand faces the risk of another property bubble, particularly in the condominium sector.
for condominium units under THB 10 million (USD330,300), bank loans must be limited to 90% of a home’s value, from January 1 2011
low-rise housing loan-to-value (LTV) ratios are capped at 95%, starting January 1, 2012.
for larger loans, banks must increase risk weighting to between 75% and 100% of the loan value. At present, the risk weighting is set by the BOT for the property sector at 35%.
Risk weightings are used to calculate the minimum amount of capital required to support lending. The higher the risk, the greater capital is required by banks leading to increased overall costs in the form of higher interest rates.
Property bubble ?
In fact, a bubble is unlikely in the Thai property market as prices have risen naturally in the past three years, according to the Government Housing Bank (GHB), a state-owned lending agency. GHB’s president Khan Prachuabmoh insists that there is nothing unusual in the present situation, despite the substantial recent increases in low-end supply.
These price shifts were not achieved overnight, but have been part of a gradual progress over the years as the market developed. The initial round of increases occurred between 2002 and 2007, with property prices in Bangkok moving from 100,000 baht to 200,000 baht/m² over a five-year period. The second round from 200,000 baht to the current level of 300,000 baht and above has occurred over a seven-year period from 2007.
Real demand, not speculative demand, exists for low-rise housing below THB 3 million (USD99,100), which accounts for 70% of the market, according to Housing Business Association (HBA) president Issara Boonyong. The remaining 30% of demand comes from investors, who buy homes to generate rental income. The 23,000 registrations of new condo units in the first nine months of 2010, compares with 29,000 registrations of low-rise residences, adds Boony
Bangkok 7th World Most connected city to China
Bangkok also ranks 3rd in terms of the volume of Chinese corporate leasing activity over the last three years, according to a new report from real estate consulting firm JLL.
While China’s biggest corporates are increasingly flexing their global muscle as the country’s economic and geopolitical influence accelerates, Bangkok is the 10th most popular destination for mainland firms expanding overseas. (more…)
Thailand’s Special Economic Zones (SEZ) and new opportunity connected
The SEZ policy was first launched in 2015 based on the government’s belief in the strong potential of the 10 areas to connect with the neighboring countries in terms of trade, economy and investment
With its strategic location in the center of ASEAN with emerging markets, including Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia and southern China, on its border, Thailand is well position to connect investors to new opportunities arising from the increasing border trade and the region’s rapid economic growth.
Decrypting the Crypto Bubble : China Ban Vs. Thailand’s cautious welcome
ICO has gained popularity among tech startups as a convenient and timely way to access funding. In the past few months, ICO has grown exponentially and has surpassed early stage venture capital funding
What is Forex Trading and how it works?
Why do the investors choose Forex trading? Forex trading is traded by currency pairs. This is because all currency trading...
APRIL International Care opens up TeleHEALTH service to address Coronavirus worries
The TeleHEALTH service means policyholders do not have to leave their home or workplace to “see” a doctor, with a...
Thailand rolls out New Investment Measures to Boost Economy
The new definition of qualified applicants now includes businesses that have not previously received BOI promotion privileges as long as...