A telecoms academic petitioned the Administrative Court today, seeking an injunction to suspend Tuesday’s auction of third-generation 3G wireless licenses by the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission NBTC.
Anuparb Tiralarb, former president of the Thailand Telecommunication Management Academy, said the auction should be suspended until NBTC amends some regulations and pre-auction conditions for the people’s maximum benefit. He said the NBTC has set a timeframe for 3G mobile service operators to expand nationwide coverage in half of the country within two years and 80 per cent in four years but the remaining 20 per cent which includes rural and remote zones will be overlooked.
The NBTC should impose a maximum technical requirement for mobile phone signal stability, he said, but it has instead set the requirement at a minimum level. The 3G service should cover underprivileged people in remote areas which represent the majority of Thai population without a condition for service fee, he said. NBTC should also set a service fee ceiling and compensation from operators in case of system failure.
Mr Anuparb said he did not intend to obstruct the auction but he merely wanted the NBTC to act for consumers’ ultimate benefit before starting the auction.
Thailand’s Amendments to Ease Doing Business
Thailand’s government approved new amendments to the country’s Civil and Commercial Code (CCC) aimed at improving the business climate.
Thailand Vs Asia: Gambling Laws Comparison
Whereas Singapore and The Philippines have lax gambling laws, Thailand has some of the strictest gambling laws in Southeast Asia. Betting on horse racing and the government-sponsored lottery are the only two forms of legal gambling in the country.
Thailand’s illegal gambling market
Police in Thailand are tasked with monitoring illegal gambling. Raids regularly take place that result in fines and or jail time for people found to be hosting or playing in illegal gambling events.
Almost every form of gambling is illegal in Thailand and has been since 1935. But while the neon flashing world of online gambling was still the stuff of science fiction in the prelude to World War Two – when Thailand’s gambling laws were made – the remote sector is still banned in the country.(more…)
Thailand approves COVID-19 AstraZeneca vaccine for emergency use
The first lot of 50,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccine developed by AstraZeneca will arrive in Thailand early next month, after...
Interprovincial travel in Thailand amid COVID-19 controls
The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) is suspending 57 additional train services from 26 January, 2021, as part of the...
Covid-19 puts flexible space markets under strain
In the wake of operator defaults, landlords will be forced to re-evaluate the role of flexible space in their portfolios.
Thailand to put world’s largest floating solar farm into use this June
The facility, which generates power on a water surface of 72 hectares, was originally scheduled for operation in December last...
TAT launches virtual tours to 4 top destinations in Thailand
Once inside an attraction, visitors can move around using the cursor, while some of the attractions have information about its...
Thailand’s automotive sector expected to produce 1.4m cars this year
This increase in output is a result of the recovery of domestic and export markets, with the annual output for...
Subscribe via Email
Forex1 week ago
Leverage from Forex Brokers & How Beginners Can Benefit from It
Economics6 days ago
Thai economy to grow 4% in 2021 following 6.5% decline in 2020
National5 days ago
Human trafficking cases in Thailand hit decade low due to COVID-19
Banking1 week ago
Can Fintech drive a strong post-COVID-19 recovery in Asia?