Connect with us

Pro-military party wins most votes in Thai election

Boris Sullivan

Published

on

The EC released the total number of votes for each party yesterday, earlier than previously expected.

The poll agency previously announced results after 95% of votes were counted and said that the remaining 5% would not be revealed until May 9.

With all of the ballots now counted, the Palang Pracharath Party (PPRP) has won the popular vote, with 8.4 million compared to 7.9 million for Pheu Thai, with a 74.7% voter turnout.

The results represented 100 per cent of the ballots counted but would remain unofficial until final results are announced on May 9, after the coronation ceremony of King Maha Vajiralongkorn. 

According to the EC, these figures were from a full vote count which have not yet been endorsed.

The data showed an increase of around 500,000 votes for both the PPRP and Pheu Thai on the 95% count, which stood at 7.9 million and 7.4 million respectively.

The four parties with the most votes are: Palang Pracharath (8.4 million), Pheu Thai (7.9 million), Future Forward (6.2 million), Democrats (3.9 million), and Bhumjaithai (3.7 million).

Comments

National

Human trafficking cases in Thailand hit decade low due to COVID-19

Thailand has pointed to improved efforts to stop trafficking in recent years, under scrutiny from the United States and following criticism of its failure to tackle abuses in its lucrative seafood and textile sectors, as well as the sex trade.

Avatar

Published

on

BANGKOK, Jan 21 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) – Police in Thailand last year launched the lowest number of human trafficking investigations in a decade as coronavirus restrictions on businesses and borders hindered criminal networks, according to a soon-to-be released government report.

(more…)
Continue Reading

Economics

Thai economy to grow 4% in 2021 following 6.5% decline in 2020

The World Bank is now expecting the Thai economy to see 4% growth this year, and a 4.7% growth in 2022, despite current challenges from the new wave of COVID-19 infections.

Olivier Languepin

Published

on

Crowded downtown area in Bangkok

The World Bank now expects that the Thai economy to expand by 4 per cent in 2021, according to the latest World Bank Thailand Economic Monitor report “Restoring Incomes, Recovering Jobs” released on Wednesday (Jan 20).

(more…)
Continue Reading

News

Thailand new coronavirus cases -59- down to two digits

Of the new cases, 28 were exposed to the virus while visiting high-risk areas. The province with the highest number of infections is Bangkok (10), followed by Samut Sakhon (7).

Boris Sullivan

Published

on

Thailand confirmed 59 new coronavirus cases and one additional death on Wednesday, taking its total infections to 12,653 and fatalities to 71, the first day Covid infections are down to two digits since the beginning of the second Covid-19 outbreak in the country in December.

(more…)
Continue Reading

Latest

Most Viewed

Subscribe via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 13,609 other subscribers

Trending