Connect with us

Tourism

TAT intensifies PR campaign to lure back tourists after floods

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) today stated that the floods covering several central provinces in Thailand and parts of Bangkok have had no impact on most of the country’s best-known tourist attractions and destinations. Some 40 of Thailand’s 1,200 tourist attractions that appeal to international visitors, including those from China, or around 3% of Thailand’s key tourist attractions, have been affected by the floods. The remaining 97% were not affected in any way by the flooding.

Aishwarya Gupta

Published

on

TAT amazing thailand campaign

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) today stated that the floods covering several central provinces in Thailand and parts of Bangkok have had no impact on most of the country’s best-known tourist attractions and destinations. Some 40 of Thailand’s 1,200 tourist attractions that appeal to international visitors, including those from China, or around 3% of Thailand’s key tourist attractions, have been affected by the floods. The remaining 97% were not affected in any way by the flooding.

Loading...

The most notable among these is the World Heritage Site in Ayutthaya, around 50 km north of Bangkok, where the flood water is already receding.
Other tourist attractions and destinations outside of Thailand’s central provinces are experiencing normal conditions and continue welcoming visitors. This includes Pattaya, Phuket, Rayong and Chiang Mai, which are favourite destinations for tourists from China.

Almost all other tourist destinations in Thailand including Sukhothai, Chiang Rai, Surat Thani and Ko Samui, are also not affected by the flooding in the Central Region. Even in the Central Region, places such as Hua Hin and Cha-Am are outside the area affected by the flood.Suvarnabhumi Airport, the main gateway to Thailand for international flights since 2006, is not affected by the flood and all flights continue operating as per usual.

The airport, which has considerable water management and flood prevention measures, serves over 800 flights per day. There were more than 958,000 international visitor arrivals at Suvarnabhumi Airport during October 2011, an increase of 6.7% over the previous year. Connecting flights from Suvarnabhumi Airport to other airports to other destinations within Thailand are operating normally.

TAT amazing thailand campaign

TAT is using PR to combat negative global media buzz about flooding

Don Mueang Airport, which has not handled international flights for more than five years, is the only airport in Thailand closed due to flooding. Two small domestic airlines based at Don Mueang are currently operating their daily flights out of Suvarnabhumi Airport.
In the Bangkok Metropolitan Area, the central part of the city is not flooded and government officials are confident their flood prevention efforts will keep it dry except for some places close to the Chao Phraya River during high tides. Flooding in the Bangkok area is mainly in outlying residential and industrial zones in the city’s east and west, the city’s northern districts, and the western side of the Chao Phraya River.

Travellers from China can also fly directly to destinations such as Phuket and Ko Samui. In October 2011, the number of tourist arrivals at Phuket was up almost 28% compared to the same period last year. Phuket International Airport had 40,500 arrivals during 1-6 November, a 40% increase compared to the same period last year.

“At the TAT, our hearts go out to all the Thai people affected by the flood,” said TAT Governor Suraphon Svetasreni. “All Thais are pulling together to help each other and the country has received generous support from many countries, especially the people of China. The flood waters are receding in the central provinces, all the way down to Ayutthaya, and the cleanup has begun. The remaining floodwaters in the affected parts of Bangkok and the surrounding provinces are expected to be clear within the next four to six weeks. Meanwhile, tourist destinations in the rest of Thailand are ready to welcome visitors from China.”

As the flooding has mainly affected Thailand’s agricultural and industrial sectors, tourism will play an important role in sustaining the country’s economy, providing employment and contributing to Thailand’s recovery. A significant part of the recovery process will be increased tourist arrivals and sustaining employment in this important part of the Thai economy. More than 2,000,000 Thai people work in Thailand’s tourism sector.

China is one of Thai tourism’s most important markets

“The TAT hopes that more travellers from China will visit Thailand, especially those who planned to come during the high season. They will enjoy all the country has to offer while making an important contribution to the Thai economy, especially in terms of supporting jobs in the tourism sector that will generate income for the Thai people,” said Governor Suraphon.

Thai tourism has proven to be very resilient in the past, recovering quickly when faced with difficult times. The TAT aims to ensure that travellers from China understand the current flooding situation has not involved most of Thailand’s tourism attractions and destinations, so they can still come to the Kingdom for their holidays. To do this, the TAT is bringing 100 members of the Chinese media to see first hand that very few of Thailand’s tourist attractions were affected by the flood. More than 300 media from other countries worldwide will also visit Thailand on similar trips over the next weeks.

China is one of Thai tourism’s most important markets. During the first nine months of 2011, international tourist arrivals to Thailand reached 14.4 million. Over 1.3 million of these arrivals were from China, a 9.06% increase over the same period last year. Some 42% were repeat visitors and 43% travelled in group tours.

When in Thailand, visitors from China prefer shopping and entertainment venues, with a growing trend towards personal relaxation, Free Individual Travellers (FITs) and tours that offer in-depth Thai cultural experiences. Average daily spending for Chinese travellers is approximately 4,425 Baht per person, with an average length of stay of about one week.

Contact information:
International Public Relations Division
Tourism Authority of Thailand
Tel: +66 (0) 2250 5500 ext. 4545-48
Fax: +66 (0) 2253 7419
E-mail: [email protected]
Web site: www.tatnews.org

Tourism

Will Thailand’s plan for quarantine-free tourism set a global trend?

According to the Tourism Authority of Thailand, the quarantine-exemption measures implemented in Phuket will be extended to five other key tourism destinations – Krabi, Phang Nga, Surat Thani (Ko Samui), Chonburi (Pattaya) and Chiang Mai – from October 1.

Oxford Business Group

Published

on

As part of plans to stimulate a rebound in tourism, some countries have moved to waive compulsory quarantine for international travellers who have received a coronavirus vaccine.

Loading...
(more…)

Continue Reading

Tourism

TAT New York Office to host virtual Thai New Year celebration broadcast live from Chiang Mai

All are invited to participate in this one-night only celebration that will be broadcast live from Chiang Mai, featuring an hour-long programme offering something for all those who love Thailand’s traditional culture, its festivals, and Thai food.

Tourism Authority of Thailand

Published

on

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) New York Office is organising an online “Spring into Songkran Splendours” celebration to welcome in the traditional Thai New Year 2021.

Loading...
(more…)

Continue Reading

Tourism

Thai tourism officials welcome Miss Grand International 2020 contestants

After arriving in Bangkok on 28 February, all Miss Grand International 2020 contestants have spent two weeks in Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) in Thailand as required under nationwide regulations to prevent and control the spread of COVID-19.

Tourism Authority of Thailand

Published

on

Thai tourism officials welcome Miss Grand International 2020 contestants

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is pleased to welcome the organisers and all 63 contestants of the Miss Grand International 2020 beauty contest, following their completion of the 14-day mandatory quarantine in Thailand.

Loading...
(more…)

Continue Reading

Most Viewed

Subscribe via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 14,066 other subscribers

Latest

Trending