Connect with us

Asean

Half of ASEAN population is still “unbanked”

In ASEAN countries, only 29% of workers reported receiving their monthly salaries through an account from a financial institution, while the remaining 71% is paid in cash by their employers. In Thailand, about 70% of workers are still paid in cash.

Boris Sullivan

Published

on

In Southeast Asia, there are 264 million adults who are still “unbanked”; many of them save their money under the mattress and borrow from so-called “loan sharks”, paying exorbitant interest rates on a daily or weekly basis.

Globally, around 2 billion people do not use formal financial services.

Recognizing the importance of financial inclusion for economic development, the leaders of the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) have made this one of their top priorities for the next five years.

Last week, the World Bank Group presented the latest data on financial inclusion in ASEAN to senior representatives of the ministries of finance and central banks of all 10 ASEAN member countries (Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam).

The session, held in Kuala Lumpur, is one of the joint activities the new World Bank Research and Knowledge Hub and Malaysia is undertaking to support financial inclusion around the world.

For ASEAN countries, levels of financial inclusion are not homogeneous. While Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, and Brunei Darussalam have achieved almost universal financial inclusion, other countries in ASEAN still face various challenges. Here’s a snapshot of some of the major challenges according to the 2014 Global Findex:

Low levels of account ownership

Currently, only 50% of adults in ASEAN have an account at a financial institution. ASEAN is discussing a specific financial inclusion target for 2020. There is a consensus to set the target at around 70% for 2020.

Rates of financial “exclusion” are higher among the poor, those living in rural areas, and those who are less-educated. Interestingly, neither gender nor age are relevant factors that explain financial exclusion in ASEAN countries.

Adults with a bank account (%)

Wage payments made mostly in cash

In ASEAN countries, only 29% of workers reported receiving their monthly salaries through an account from a financial institution, while the remaining 71% is paid in cash by their employers.

Paying salaries in cash can be risky for employers and workers alike

In contrast, making salary payments directly into the accounts of workers at financial institutions is safer and can help workers not only save their money in a safer manner, but also build their credit histories to access new type of services, such as consumer credit, mortgages, education loans, insurance products, etc.

The group discussed the urgent need to take actions to digitize payments conducted by government institutions and private sector enterprises, while ensuring customers are not charged excessive fees or misled by financial institutions.

Adults receiving wage payments by method (%)
financial-inclusion2

Low levels of debit and credit card penetration

In ASEAN countries, only 30% of adults reported having a debit card and 9% reported having a credit card. Cash is still used extensively, even by people that already have bank accounts.

Adults with a debit card (as % of all adults)

Source: How to scale up financial inclusion in ASEAN countries | East Asia & Pacific on the rise

Continue Reading
Advertisement Load WordPress Sites in as fast as 37ms!
Comments

Trade

Opportunities in Cross-Border Logistics to Vietnam

Cross-border trade has become increasingly important for Thai economy, especially given that Vietnam, as a main cross-border trade partner, contributes over 60% of Thailand’s total cross-border trade.

Avatar

Published

on

iStock-648248614.jpg

Cross-border trade between Thailand and Vietnam tends to grow by approximately 30%CAGR over the next 3 years.

(more…)
Continue Reading

Asean

ASEAN and Turkey to strengthen partnership

ASEAN and Turkey further exchanged views on ways and means to enhance ASEAN-Turkey cooperation in various areas stipulated in the PCA, including on countering terrorism and violent extremism, trade and investment, e-commerce, public-private partnership

Avatar

Published

on

ASEAN, Turkey reaffirm commitment to strengthen partnership

JAKARTA, 19 July 2019 — In an effort to push ahead with concrete cooperation, ASEAN and Turkey yesterday adopted a five-year roadmap to forge collaboration in areas of mutual interest.

(more…)
Continue Reading

Asean

Electric vehicles (EV) industry gaining momentum in ASEAN

The development of electric vehicles (EV) is gaining momentum in Southeast Asian nations, as such vehicles require fewer parts and barriers to market entry are lower compared to engine-powered vehicles, according to The Yomiuri Shimbun.

Avatar

Published

on

The development of electric vehicles (EV) is gaining momentum in Southeast Asian nations, as such vehicles require fewer parts and barriers to market entry are lower compared to engine-powered vehicles, according to The Yomiuri Shimbun.

(more…)
Continue Reading

Most Read

Upcoming Events

Sep 19

ASEAN (Bangkok)Toys and Preschool Expo

September 19 @ 10:00 am - September 21 @ 7:00 pm BMT
Nov 27

The Future Energy Show Thailand

November 27 @ 10:00 am - November 28 @ 5:30 pm BMT
Dec 05

The Healthcare+ Expo Taiwan

December 5 @ 9:00 am - December 8 @ 5:30 pm BMT
Feb 19

13th World Congress on Nursing and Health Care

February 19, 2020 @ 9:00 am - February 20, 2020 @ 5:00 pm BMT
Phuket
Phuket city

Press Release

Subscribe via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 10,917 other subscribers

Trending