CPF Europe SA – the subsidiary of Charoen Pokphand Foods Pcl (CPF) – has entered into an agreement to acquire a 95 per cent stake in German-based meat distributor Paulsen Food GmbH from Peter Paulsen Import-Export GmbH for 12 million euro ($13.7 million)

The move is seen as a bid to expand its footprint in Europe, according to the company’s statement to the Stock Exchange of Thailand on Friday.

Following the deal,  Paulsen Food and its subsidiaries will become indirect subsidiaries of CPF. Paulsen Food sells meat to food industry customers in Germany and European Union.

Becoming a majority shareholder of PF will enable CPF to enhance its import quota licences for poultry products to the EU to around 6,100 tonnes a year, according to the statement.

Moreover, the Thai company will obtain networks and channels to access food manufacturers in European market where there is a high demand for chicken and duck in line with CPF’s businesses.

The statement cited the deal’s price was determined based on the negotiations with reference to a number of inventories, net asset value of licensed companies and appraised value of import quota licences. However, it said, such consideration may change according to the actual value on the closing date as per the conditions and method specified in the agreement.

The funds will come from the cash flow of CPF Europe SA and borrowings within CPF.

Last year, CPF closed 11 overseas investment deals worth nearly 50 billion baht ($1.47 billion), including one with Bellisio Foods, one of America’s fastest-growing frozen food firms, in December.

About 68 per cent of CPF’s last year sales revenue worth 464 billion baht ($13.65 billion) was generated from overseas operations and exports. The rest 32 per cent came from Thai market.

Source link

DEALSTREETASIA Pte. Ltd. is a news and intelligence platform providing reports on investments, mergers, acquisitions, private equity, venture capital, investment banking and the business of startups across the Asian region.

About the author

DEALSTREETASIA Pte. Ltd. is a news and intelligence platform providing reports on investments, mergers, acquisitions, private equity, venture capital, investment banking and the business of startups across the Asian region.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Get notified of our weekly selection of news

You May Also Like

Thailand to speed up FTA negotiations with EU

The negotiations towards a Free Trade Agreement with Thailand were originally launched in October 2005. Two rounds of negotiations have been held between 2005 and 2006. The negotiations were on hold from 2006 to 2022.

SET market report for March 2022

SET Index in the first quarter of 2022 was driven by industry groups which benefit from the country reopening, as such Services, Technology and Resources industry groups rose at a faster pace than the SET Index at end-2021.

Asia-Pacific: Companies face rising credit risks despite shorter payment delays

Coface’s 2022 Asia Corporate Payment Survey, conducted between November 2021 and February 2022, provides insights into the evolution of payment behaviour and credit management practices of about 2,800 companies across the Asia Pacific region during another pandemic year.