In order to stimulate the economy, the Thai government has formally released a new set of rules permitting foreigners to work or invest in 18 particular enterprises.
The announcement highlights a number of new target industries for migrant labor, including highly qualified specialists, investors, executives, and startup entrepreneurs.
The notice (the 3rd version) published by the Royal Gazette was signed on February 3 by Prime Minister Gen Prayuth Cha-o-cha and Interior Minister Gen Anupong Paochinda.
In accordance with the SMART visa program, a new type of visa designed to attract highly skilled workers, with a maximum residence permit of 4 years in Thailand, announced by the Board of Investment of Thailand (BOI) for :
“Highly qualified specialists, an investor, executive, and an entrepreneur for startups to work, invest, build, and manage businesses in Thailand in the following target industries while meeting Cabinet-approved BOI requirements.”
- Automotive industry
- Electronic industry
- Quality travelling industry
- Agriculture, Food, and Biotechnology industry
- Automation and robotics industry
- Transport and logistics industry
- Petrochemical and chemical industry
- Digital industry
- Medical industry
- Defence industry
- Circular economy industry e.g. fuel production from waste and water resource management
- Aviation, aircraft, and aerospace industry
- Human resource development in science and technology
- Environment and renewable energy management
- Technology, innovation, and startup ecosystem management
- Targeted technology development
- International business centre
- Alternative dispute resolution service”