Credit Suisse’s Global Wealth Report 2016 identified Russia as the world’s most unequal country, with a staggering 74.5 per cent of the nation’s wealth controlled by the richest 1 per cent of people.

In India and Thailand, the top 1 per cent own nearly 60 per cent of the wealth, while the figure was around 50 per cent for Indonesia and Brazil.

Credit Suisse said the world had been growing more equal from the start of the century until 2008.

“The trend reversed after the financial crisis”, its report notes however, and while the most recent data is only provisional it looks set to continue to get more unequal.

Asia-Pacific Wealth Exceeds North America’s for First Time

Private wealth in the Asia-Pacific region surpassed that of North America for the first time last year, fueled by stronger economies and real estate markets, according to a Cap Gemini SA report.

Millionaires’ assets in Asia-Pacific countries surged almost 10 percent to $17.4 trillion, outstripping North America’s $16.6 trillion, Cap Gemini said on Thursday. European wealth rose 4.8 percent to $13.6 trillion, while Latin America and Africa declined, the Paris-based consulting firm said.

Global wealth advanced 4 percent to $58.7 trillion.

Interesting comparison data shows that the average wealth per adult in Thailand has grown from $3350 to $8391 between 2000 and 2016.

The average wealth per adult in Thailand has grown from $3350 to $8391 between 2000 and 2016.
The average wealth per adult in Thailand has grown from $3350 to $8391 between 2000 and 2016.

Where do the bottom billion live?

With both large populations and a high incidence of low wealth, Africa and India – as expected – account for a high proportion of the bottom tail. As Table 4.2 shows, 486 million members of the bottom quintile – almost exactly half of the bottom billion – live in Africa or India, and 1.1 billion adults there fall within the bottom half of the global wealth distribution.

The other major concentration is in the Asia-Pacific region, particularly the low-income countries of South Asia and South East Asia.

Together, Africa, India, and Asia-Pacific account for 72% of the bottom billion by wealth, and 70% of the bottom half. The remaining 30% are mainly spread across China, Europe, and Latin America.

About the author

Bangkok Correspondent at Siam News Network

Bangkok Correspondent for Siam News Network. Editor at Thailand Business News

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Get notified of our weekly selection of news

You May Also Like

China massive first-mover advantage in Central Bank Digital Currencies (CBDCs)

Central Bank Digital Currencies (CBDCs) have the potential to disrupt dollar dominance and transform the mechanics of the global financial system by providing faster and cheaper ways to settle international trade and financial transactions

Thai businesses worried after opposition upset win

The Move Forward Party has tried to reassure the business sector that it will pursue policies that are conducive to economic development and innovation. But the political uncertainty could further dampen consumer and business sentiment, and delay the recovery process.

Thailand raises interest rate for the third time in a row to 1.25%

For the third time in a row this year, the Bank of Thailand increased its benchmark interest rate by a quarter point to 1.25% on Wednesday, making it the highest level since February 2020 and helping to control inflation.